Research Square is a network of academics and professionals dedicated to helping international researchers publish their findings. We provide solutions for researchers that include manuscript services to improve the quality of their research papers, and tools to facilitate intellectual discovery.
We are currently providing technical, administrative, and editorial support for a leading U.S.- based organic chemistry scholarly journal and have an opening for a Data Analyst to work closely with the journal’s Editor-in-Chief office, domestic & internationally located editorial staff, and author community. You will be able to work from home, but must be available to come to our office in downtown Durham for training and periodic team meetings.
Job Duties include:
- Assess experimental procedures and compound characterization data in submitted manuscripts for completeness, consistency, and compliance with journal data-reporting requirements.
- Use software tools to check single-crystal X-ray diffraction structural data in crystallographic information framework format for syntax errors and data quality.
- Interpret original NMR, HPLC, HRMS, and elemental analysis data
- Assess whether authors of have thoroughly addressed the issues that have been raised during the peer review process by reviewers, editors, and candidate’s data checking.
- Respond to editor and author queries about data-reporting requirements.
- Search the chemical literature using SciFinder for submitted manuscripts if there is a potential issue with a manuscript/SI related directly to data.
- Assist editors in investigating possible ethical violations involving technical data.
- Recommend annual updates to the manuscript preparation and submission requirements in the journal's Guidelines for Authors and share with the Coordinating Editor. Coordinate proposed changes with editors and journal production staff. Work with Coordinating Editor to update the content of the journal's author-information webpages to match changes in requirements and policy.
Required Skills and Qualifications
- Ph.D. in organic chemistry or M.S. with 5+ years in an organic chemistry laboratory.
- Knowledge of organic compound nomenclature and familiarity with ACS Style Guide standards of chemical technical writing
- Working knowledge of chromatographic, spectroscopic, and other common methods used for isolating and characterizing organic compounds; knowledge of basic crystallography and/or computational chemistry a plus
- Competence with databases, email, Microsoft Office, SciFinder and Web-based applications
- Strong communication skills
- Highly organized with the ability to multi-task and problem-solve
- Demonstrates Research Square’s core values
- Able to commit to memory the journal guideline requirements that you are assigned to work with
- Works accurately and efficiently
- Able to quickly master new journal guidelines
- Able to quickly assess and address author concerns, questions, complaints, and resolve issues according to established best practices
Who We Are
We are a rapidly growing company based in Durham, NC, and our 200+ full-time employees are committed to making a difference in the world of research discovery, communication, and publication. We take our work to improve the lives of researchers very seriously, and we also believe in having fun doing so! Our work environment is casual and extremely flexible. We have a results-focused workplace; many enjoy coming in to our "open office" environment, and those who choose to work from home attend any required meetings via chat rooms and videoconferencing.
Recent Company Awards
- Inc. 5000 (2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016)
- Fast 50 (2013, 2014)
- Inc. Hire Power (2013)
- Build 100 (2013)
- Sloan Award for Workplace Flexibility (2011, 2012)
- When Work Works Award (2014, 2016, 2017)
- NC Parenting Magazine’s Family Friendly 50 (2013, 2014)
- Triangle Business Journal's Best Places to Work (2017)